Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Daughter's Favorite Pop


HELLO FOLKS! — It seems that I am my youngest daughter’s favorite father.  If that sounds strange, let me remind you that I have very little competition in that field.

It is comical to note how Merilee favors me. If I accidentally hurt her while we are playing she never tells on me. She may go crying to her mother but when she is asked who hurt her she never tells. That is the sign that it was me.

Last Thursday night when we were having family hour, Merilee was passing out the candy. When she came to me she first gave me the same amount as the rest of them. Then as a sudden after-thought she came back and said, “Daddy is bigger, he has to have more,” and she haned me a big handful of candy.

This goes on all the time, and do I love it? You bet I do. I get abused enough around here from everybody else that I need a morale booster once in a while.


The school’s valedictorian and the senior-class knucklehead met years later, the dumb one driving fine car, wearing fancy clothes and diamonds. His opposite, threadbare by comparison, asked, “How have you succeeded so well, Joe, when you were the poorest student?” “I dunno,” was the reply, “except that I’m a salesman and I buy for a dollar and sell for five — You just can’t beat that old four percent.”


BY THE time you read this column I will have spent a few days more in St. Paul working on the state Farm Bureau resolutions. I was appointed to the position last winter and we have spent two days, so far, on them.

I consider this an important calling. There is no organization to my knowledge that goes to more expense and bother to try and set in motion the policies and attitudes of the various states and nations law makers.

People are called from various fields of experience to relate their views and it is the duty of the resolutions committee to unwind the facts and come up with wise ideas to be handed the members of the delegate body at convention time for their consideration.

Once the resolutions are formulated it is also the responsibility of the state resolutions committee to answer questions and explain to the convention how the certain ideas were arrived at.

While many organizations come up with many good ideas and these ideas are fought out in the various legislatures and with what we hope is to the benefit of the citizens.

It is my belief that those of the Farm Bureau are the soundest over the years. They are not always the most popular at the time but they generally prove to be right in the long run. The rules are those of fair play and charity toward all. With the desire for a minimum of control and regulation to the insure properity.


Transcribed by Vera Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment