Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

At 40, Life Begins to Drag

Hello Folks. How does it seem to be 40?

I should know, I just reached that milestone, but I was too busy to notice any difference.

As far as I can tell the physical change is negligible. I can do as much work today as I could 20 years ago and as much as I could 10 years ago.

Mentally, I suppose I have grown more conservative  I really believe I am wiser (though some may dispute that). If I am not wiser I am retrogressing and haven't much to live for in the next 40 years.

On the other hand if the past 40 have shown substantial progress the next 40 should be even more interesting. I want to live to be 80, my plans are set accordingly, with a certain amount of hedging in case it doesn't pan out that way.

Don't ask me if I am prepared to die, I'm not!

I am prepared to live. I enjoy living, as much as anyone I know. I don't envy any man. While I am sojorning upon this earth I intend to enjoy it to the fullest.

I have found that there is more "honest – to – goodness" joy in helping my fellow-men than there is in accumulating a lof of material wealth.

There is more satisfaction in turing the other cheek and watching the opponent's frustration in so doing than in squaring off.

There is often more value in "rolling with the punch" and coming back with my own lates on than there is in never giving ground.

I have found that there is more satisfaction in being in the arean than there is sitting on the sidelines watching. You grow strong in activity, weak in just watching.

I have learned that blues are for the idler. To the one who is constantly active (and we can all be) blues are foreign. The activity of course, must always be constructive.

I realize that you can learn more from the laws of nature than you can out of books. Wonder if that is why nearly all great men have lived near the "grass roots."

All in all, it is a great, wide, wonderful world. And why should it not be? If a man has a family who love him, a home to dwell in, friends to visit with, soil to till, a job to do, enough to eat and the assurance that there's a "Man Upstairs" who will give you help any time he really needs it, what more could he ask?

If you job seems too much for you, remember, most of the important tasks in the world are being done by people not quite up to them.

Twelve things to remember
1– The value of time.
2– The success of perseverance.
3– The pleasure of working.
4– The dignity of simplicity.
5– The value of character.
6– The power of kindness.
7– The influence of example.
8– The obligation of duty.
9– The wisdom of economy.
10– The virtue of patience.
11– The important of talents.
12– The joy of origination.



My birthday was May 5. As I told you we were all head over heals in work so I didn't even think about a birthday cake.

The next day being Sunday, we had dinner at the chapel with the congregation.

I sat down to eat before a beautifully decorated cake and one candle on it. I couldn't quite figure out that it was for me (what with on candle).

Mrs. Petersen explained it this way:
"Life begins at forty. Therefore if your life is just beginning you can't be more than one."

I finally got it figured out, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment