Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Suddenly We’re Aware


By EDWIN B. PETERSEN


HELLO FOLKS— Seems that all at once people have become aware of the problems involved in steady teen-age dating. We seem to have become aware of the fact that when young couples are together too much before they reach emotional maturity they get to taking each other for granted. The consequence too often is that they… liberties with each other.

With that in mind a number of parents have put a ban on steady dating hoping that that will solve the problem. Many believe that is the answer to the problem. These young people are growing up and have to learn to control their own emotions. I am afraid we are more… develop warped complexes…e hard use of force. What… youths need to be taught… the proper responsibilities.

They need to learn that the reason for dating is to get acquainted with the opposite sex, with the ultimate goal of picking a mate, that …t is the most important single objective in life, that it precedes that of picking the right career, that the Hollywood type romance is strictly entertainment and has no place in the hard facts of life and that sexual chastity is the greatest virtue in life.

I believe that schools and churches should teach that, and also believe teen-age dating should be properly chaperoned.

I am confident that if our youths are taught the right principles in life they will decide wisely for themselves. If they are taught such things as cheek-to-cheek dancing and failure to exchange partners during a social is not proper, they will respond willingly and gratefully.


AS MANY of you have no doubt noticed, every once in a while I write a gem from my wife’s notebook. This is quite a book she has. She has been keeping choice bits of prose and poetry in it for most of her life and has quite a book full. I still haven’t read it through, but someday I’ll make it.

Here is a poem from that book. The name of it is “Touching Shoulders.”

There’s a comforting thought at the close of the day,
When I’m wary and lonely and sad,
That sort of grips hold of my musty/mushy old heart and bids it be merry and glad.
It gets in my soul and drives out the blues
And finally thrills through and through;
It’s just a sweet memory that chants the refrain
“I’m glad I touched shoulder with you.”

Did you know you were brave?
Did you know you were strong?
Did you know there was one leaning hard?
Did you know that I waited and listened and prayed,
And was cheered by your simplest word?
Did you know that I longed for that smile on your face.
For the sound of your voice ringing true?
Did you know I grew stronger and better, because
I had merely touched shoulders with you?

I am glad that I live, that I battle and strive,
For the place that I know I must fill;
I am thankful for sorrows; I’ll meet with a grin
What fortune may send, good or ill
I may not have wealth, I may not be great,
But I know I shall always be true;
For I have in my life the courage you gave,
When once I rubbed shoulders with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment